Thursday, 4 May 2017

Why I'm not Scared of Finishing University

Ok pinch me... the other day I had to register for my Graduation! *Draw drops, Eyes widen* Ho-ly S*** 

Being third year, fastly approaching the leap into real adulthood *Gulps*, I've definitely been subject to many a 'So have you got any plans?' comment or a 'Have you started applying for jobs/grad schemes?' and in answer to all those questions;

Nope.

A big fat Nope!

I've not applied for a single graduate scheme, or job. I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I have basically no prospects for after university. And I'll end up with no money in my bank account.

Well, that's not entirely true... I am planning on travelling in Australia in August for who knows how long (as long as my saved money/Working-Holiday Visa will last). But I've not got a whole load of money and although I'll give it my best shot, who knows if travelling for a living is the right path for me and I might come back and have spent all my savings!


But the absolutely great thing is... I'm not scared. I'm ready! I'm excited for this new chapter and this freedom to do whatever I want!

Everyone around me and everything society or university promotes is this feeling of dread and failure to leave university without a job or at least things put in place or an idea of where to go. And for a time I thought the same - hell one of the reasons I came to uni was to put off work for 3 years (definitely not a reason to be paying £9,000/yr let me just tell you, but moving swiftly on!) - but I've come to realise that there's no point in being scared or worried.

Everything has a habit of working out - opportunities come along when and how they're meant to, doors close, doors open etc etc. As long as I'm happy and working hard in whatever I'm doing at the time, I'm content with the thought that in the time until this point of ''fear'', something - maybe a job, maybe a person, maybe a way of life - will come along and fit perfectly for me at that time.

 And I think this past term, and these past few years, has definitely pushed me and shown me that I can handle whatever life throws at me. That'll change - I know me too well - when the time comes that something feels even bigger or scarier or just different to anything I've faced before, but I'll still get through it.


I admit, my parents are amazing and will support anything I want to pursue, and fortunately they have to money to put up with me for another few (*cough* thirty *cough*) years when I go travelling and hopefully make a load of mistakes/job attempts until I find the one that's right.

But all soon to be degree-finishers - don't worry! This is our time to do WHATEVER we want to do with our lives. And if the job you get isn't what you thought it would be - just get a different one?



Anyone else in their final year? Anyone struggling? Or like me have you stopped caring!?



Image links from Pinterest here;
1. maisie-daydreams.tumblr.com
2. The Daily Quotes
3. theyallhateus.com






18 comments :

  1. I love this last quote! Congratulations on finishing UNI! x Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know I thought it was very accurate! Thanks so much Nikita!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this post. I'll be going into my final year in September and I'm more scared about the amount of work I'll have. I have a few plans for after I graduate but nothing is finalised, I guess I'd be mega organised if I had already something planned at this stage. I absolutely love all these quotes in this post!! Australia sounds amazing in August, hope you have a lovely time!

    Abs x
    https://afababulouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Good Luck for your final year, make the most of it! Gosh yes that would be organised, I'm still not organised and I'm going in August!! Thanks very much, hope you have a lovely year and huge celebrations for the end!

      Delete
  3. I'm about to enter my first year of uni, but I agree, Josie, it really isn't the end of the world. We shouldn't fill up with fear and well in anxiety. It's just the start of your life!

    Travel and do all the things you have yet to do!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Steph! Exactly! It's only the beginning and we've got plenty of time to try out different jobs and experiences, to learn and feel for what we enjoy! I'm so excited to get out and start learning!

      Good Luck for your first year, you'll have a great time! Throw yourself in and never do anything you don't want to do!

      Delete
  4. I am just in my first year of Uni but I goddamn love it. I am deff not scare of finishing

    Teo || www.theblondewaves.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so great Teo, I'm glad you're enjoying your time, make the most of it, it goes so quickly!!

      Delete
  5. I literally relate to this post so much... I just hired my graduation robes?! Cannot believe how fast three years have gone. But I'm the same, given up worrying and am ready to embrace the change and am even quite excited about it as well! Good luck with everything you do and with Australia!! x
    Freya’s Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's so exciting Freya!! I know it's gone so fast! Thanks so much, I'm so excited!

      Delete
  6. With finishing one chapter a new one starts! And it's always fun to dive into new adventures :)

    xx
    Michaela
    Michaelablog
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right Michaela! I can't wait!!

      Delete
  7. Love this great post, thank you for sharing, cannot wait for the next post!!!

    xxx

    www.noragouma.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have three years left till I finish university but I'm a bit scared of finishing university. I have no idea what I'll do but I still have time. I admire you for being so 'carefree' in a good way about this. I wish you all the best and have fun! Life, after all, is just one giant adventure :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good luck, I hope you're enjoying it Leta! I understand the overwhelming feeling (I'm sure it'll hit me again soon haha) but you've got aaaggesss for something to come along or for you to figure out what it is you want to do! Thanks for your lovely comment - you're right, it's a huge adventure, there's no time for worrying!

      Delete
  9. Loved this Josie - I graduated 6 years ago now (eeep) but I remember when I did I felt completely lost, so really glad to hear that you are so ready and excited about your next step and have plans in place...especially as travelling Australia sounds AMAZING. Have the best time and looking forward to reading about it!
    Sophie xxx | Sophar So Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sophie! I think a lot of people feel overwhelmed by the freedom, but having felt so locked up for a while this year, I'm excited to embrace it!

      Delete