Thursday, 16 April 2015

Food from France!

There's only so long I can go before posting something about food... obviously!

And of course, after being in France last week, I needed to share with you the scrumptious findings from Avignon and my recommendations!






Most of the breakfasts were pretty similar with croissant, juice and hot drink deals but this was the lovely one we got consisting of a lovely refreshing orange juice, a scrumptious hot chocolate and deliciously tasty croissant!




I love the pastel coloured mugs!






This little place was lovely! Called 'Restaurant la Provende' it was a tiny little restaurant-cafe run by a lovely guy and the food was really good actually! I love finding little local places that are a bit more personal and this was definitely that. It was very French and the guy was really nice... and of course the food was pretty good too! I went for the vegetable pie which came with salad with prawns asparagus (and I'm assuming French dressing). 






Of course, I couldn't possibly visit France without purchasing a delightfully chocolatey, nutella-filled, cooked to perfection crepe!   



Just a passing by of yet another patisserie!





We did also go for a delightful ice cream! Down the main street there are a load of creperies and ice cream stalls ready and waiting... however due to the delightful change to England weather that was the incredibly hot sunshine in Avignon meant I had to quickly slurp up my fantastic chocolate ice cream before it melted!



We also went to another restaurant on our last night called; La Vache a Carreux  (which I've linked however I don't think the website and branding reflects the restaurant as the cartoons and background seem very kid-friendly and targeted, which kind of put me off when we saw it but when we saw inside the restaurant it looked, and was, really cosy but in a way chic and sophisticated). It was, I think, all our favourite place - very nice and French! - because it was a nice little atmosphere with really lovely staff who even humoured our terrible French (and didn't just reply in English!). 


They had their menus on cool blackboards and it was all made of brick and was candle lit and really nice! The food was also absolutely amazing! I wanted to post my picture but due to the darkness it didn't come out that great, but I went for the roasted duck with mushroom sauce and mashed potato! Can I just say, it was indescribable! Honestly, my plate was spotless by the end of it, really really nice and fall-off-the-bone meat with smooth tasty mash and the sauce was lovely and creamy! I more and recommend visiting this place if you're ever in Avignon! I did have to try the other pickings by the rest of the fam and they were all pretty scrummy too! It was quite a cheese-heavy restaurant - hence the Vache/Cow part of the name - (they had old posters of Laughing Cow which I did find pretty cool) but I'm not a massive fan of fancy cheeses, so went for the non-cheese option.

Anyone been to Avignon and recognise these places?

Or been to France at all and have any recommendations? 
I've actually really missed practising my appalling French and exploring the cute little places in the delightful sunshine and I'm thinking of applying to do a language course for a week where you go and live with a host family and get totally immersed in the lifestyle. I feel knowing a language is a really valuable skill and I've always enjoyed learning and speaking it. 

Has anyone ever done one of these recently and have any tips or sites to go through?

4 comments :

  1. Mmm it all looks so delicious!
    Alex // www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time! I've never been to Avignon but it seems like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely thanks! I really recommend it, it was a lovely little town and so hot and sunny too!

      Delete